Wednesday in the Forest
(but actually mostly in a pasture area and surrounded by a fence)
Wednesday June 1, 2016
Waskehegan Staging Area, Cooking Lake/Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area
All participants will be required to sign a lilac waiver.
Bring your DRIVER’S LICENSE to registration to borrow a SPORTident electronic timing card (and compass and whistle if you don’t have your own).
SAME TIME: register from 6:30 to 7:30pm; course closing at 9:00pm.
SAME FEES: $5 per map for members, free for O-Pass holders, and $10 for non-members.
– includes a SPORTident electronic timing card. Deposit of driver’s licence required.
– includes a rental compass, or bring your own
– includes a rental whistle, or bring your own – any kind will do (groups need only one between them)
MORE COURSES to choose from
– Course 1 as almost as easy as the short/easy on a regular Wednesday 3km.
– Course 2 about the same technical difficulty as the Medium course on a regular Wednesday. 3.9km
– Course 3 intermediate difficulty, with controls across country (crosses fences). 4.7km
– Course 4 technically difficult, suitable for those with previous forest orienteering experience (crosses fences). 6.8km
– old runners (could be marshy, and it’s a grazing area!)
– long pants, even if it’s a hot day, as there are rose briars (and perhaps ticks) lurking in the long grass
– dry shoes and socks to change into afterwards
– whistle (any kind will do) and compass if you have them, or borrow them from the registrar
– something to tell the time
– drivers licence needed to rent SPORTident timing card and/or compass and/or whistle
LOCATION: 20 km east of Sherwood Park. Registration is usually in the shelter on the east side of the parking lot.
There are better than average outhouses on site.