Wednesday April 18, 2018
Drop-in orienteering event – goes RAIN or SHINE or S**W
Location: Hawrelak Park – access off Groat Road, south of Groat Bridge (NB reconstruction work on Groat Bridge is not expected to start until a week later).
Registration will be in/close to the main shelter, which is by the lake and close to the main parking lot. The shelter has public washrooms, a water fountain, and coin-operated lockers. Location map
Displays about orienteering available in the shelter.
Registration: from 6:30pm until 7:30pm. Beginner instruction available after you have registered during this same time frame.
Waivers will be required for ALL PARTICIPANTS.
Club annual members need to sign a grey waiver (good for the entire season of city park events). You can buy a club membership HERE
Those who are not annual members will need to sign a blue member-for-a-day waiver each time they come to an orienteering event.
$10 per map* for those who are NOT annual club members. The map may be shared by a couple or family (but it’s more fun with a map each!).
*$5 per map* for those who are annual club members. The map may be shared by a couple or family. You can buy an annual club membership here (and bring a copy of the receipt from Zone4 to the event)
* no fee for the mini try-it course (but waiver still needs to be signed).
O-Pass holders get one free map if they purchased a single O-Pass, or up to as many maps as there are club members in their household if they purchased a Multi O-Pass.
Courses/ loops: CHECK OUT with the starter on the south side of the shelter, before going on your chosen course.
– mini try-it course around the lake 1.5km. No fee for this course (but waivers still need to be signed).
– short-easy course 2.9km staying within Hawrelak Park.
– short sprint-style course 1 – 2.5km within Hawrelak Park. SPORTident timing available for this course for those with their own SI cards, or collect pin punches on a card.
– short sprint-style course 2 – 3.4km within Hawrelak Park. SPORTident timing available for this course for those with their own SI cards, or collect pin punches on a card.
– more technical course venturing down Belgravia Trail, where there’s still snow, and involving some climb. 4.8km, with pin punching. The course planner has been wearing plastic bags over his socks, inside his shoes – definitely recommended! Bring a change of shoes and socks to go home in after this course.
VERY IMPORTANT : check back IN to the same clipboard location as you started from, no later than 8:30pm.