Once you have read this page, it would really help the club know how many wieners to buy if you go to our Zone 4 RSVP page and sign up, preferably by NOON on THURSDAY. No fees due until the day of the event.
When: Saturday October 20, 2018 from 11am until 3pm
Where: Elk Island National Park, Astotin Lake area
– Sprint-style orienteering courses of various lengths.
– Wiener roast – the club will provide hot dogs/smokies/veggie dogs (and a fire to cook them over!) buns, condiments & marshmallows. Please bring sticks if you have them. (NB: it is against park regulations to cut sticks from the trees)
- KRW Fall 2018 participants and their families – no charge (as the fee was included in the program) but waivers will be required.
- Other 2018 & 2019 club members: $5 per adult, kids free.
- Non annual-club members: why not buy a 2019 membership good until the end of NEXT year (otherwise $10 per adult)
Park entry fees this year:
Youth (17 and under) FREE
Car load (up to 7 persons) $15.70
and, of course, no charge if you have an annual National Parks Pass.
Map: Astotin Lake, Scale: 1:5,000, 2m contours, mapped 2017 by Geraint Edmunds, with help from Chris Sigvaldason, to a mix of ISOM 2000 and ISSOM standards, plus a few updates.
Waivers: Waivers are required from all participants
Sign Up: once you have decided to come, sign up here (to help us know how many hot dogs to buy!). Payment will be collected on the day.
Other activities, not part of the orienteering event, to round out the day:
- Play on the beach
- Check out the boardwalk over the edge of the lake
- Socialize with other club members
- Bring your canoe or kayak
- Bike or hike one of the other trails in Elk Island Park
- Drive round the Bison Loop Road
The entrance to Elk Island National Park is on the NORTH side of Hwy 16 (Yellowhead Hwy) approximately 35 km* east of Edmonton. *distance from the Beverly Bridge.
From the entrance, drive 14km north on the park road, then turn left and follow the signs to Astotin Lake. Park in the main Astotin Lake parking lot (the one next to the beach). From the far right (NW) corner of the lot, take the trail up the hill to the shelter. Watch for the club banner.
Bring your drivers licence to rent SPORTident card/compass/whistle, roasting sticks and more warm clothes.
This event goes RAIN or SHINE or SNOW or COLD. Come dressed for an adventure!
For more information: contact Dorothy <firstname.lastname@example.org> 587 990 3531 or Marilyn <eooc AT shaw DOT ca> 780 455 1916