Hints for Start/Finish Crew at Wednesday Park Events
Unlike forest events where timing is done to compare elapsed times, at park events timing is for:
– knowing how long competitors have been out on the course (especially if they are late back)
– avoiding starting participants too close together.
Start/finish person should have a place 15 – 20 m from the registration area and STAY PUT.
Even if the personnel changes, the location must not.
Put pencil box, key box, on top of the start box.
From the sheets on the clipboard, prepare a start/finish sheet of a different colour for each course.
– There are 2 columns per page = 20 entries per page.
– Number the squares S1, S2, S3 etc for the short course, M1, M2 etc for the medium and so on.
(One colour of sheets may already be labeled with M’s)
-There is a different sheet for a score ‘0’ (in the larger event box)
When participants are ready to start:
Remind participants that they must report back to the finish by course closing time (often 9pm and usually printed on the map), even if they do not complete the course.
Write first & last names of everyone, keeping those who are going out together in the same box.
Write the number of the square on their map (or get them to do so).
Write the time they start – real time from your wrist watch is good enough.
There is no need to make participants wait until the exact minute unless they would be too close to the previous participants on the same course (Use discretion at a busy event).
If you have time:
– make sure they have map (and pencil, if they want to collect answers),
– remind them what they are looking for (eg orange ribbons),
– remind them of course closing time.
When participants return:
– ask for their number
– read back their names to them, to double check they remembered the correct number.
– tick the ‘back’ box and collect pencil.
Do not calculate elapsed time unless requested to do so and you have lots of time;
competitive club members will time themselves and may list their times on the City Cup Board.
Direct participants to the water & cookies etc.
The event director will take over from you at about 7:30, so that you may register and go out on a course yourself.
Thanks for volunteering.