Elk Island Season Finale
Saturday October 21, 2017
[update]: additional location details added. Remember to bring your drivers licence to registration to rent SPORTident timing card/compass/whistle.
Orienteering on a new sprint-type map within the fenced Astotin Lake area of Elk Island National Park and BBQ social (no fee to enter the park this year)
Once you have read this page, it would really help the club know how many burgers/hotdogs to buy if you go to our Zone 4 RSVP page and sign up, preferably by NOON on THURSDAY. No fees due until the day of the event.
Register from 10:00am All participants are required to complete and sign a waiver on the day.
Morning activities from 10:00am
at least 10 different orienteering activities, including;
– test your knowledge of map symbols, or learn more of them by exploring a tiny map where nothing is more than 100 m away from the registration area.
– warm up on a micrO course – only 600 m long!
– absolute beginners and the smallest kids should try the simple 1 km course with controls on or close to trails
– go on an intermediate loop (one to the north, and one to the south of the registration/BBQ area, 1 km & 1.5 km)
– follow a line on the map to discover the location of some controls
– a short advanced course inside the fenced area, which goes into the woods (1.7km)
– a completely different advanced course (3.3km)
– venture outside the fence on one of two courses (about 2km each, one harder than the other.)
and an afternoon mass-start 30 minute score O — time t.b.a.
Lunch: (from 12:00) hot dogs & burgers provided by the club. Participants are welcome to bring potluck finger food / desserts to share, if they wish. (We recommend leaving your pot-luck item in your vehicle until noon)
What to wear:
Old runners, long pants. Bring a change of clothes for afterwards, and a warm jacket in case the temperature drops.
Map: Astotin Lake, Scale: 1:5,000, 2m contours, mapped 2017 by Geraint Edmunds, with help from Chris Sigvaldason, to a mix of ISOM 2000 and ISSOM standards.
Waivers: Waivers are required from all participants
- KRW Fall 2017 participants – no charge (as the fee was included in the program) but waivers will be required.
- Other club members: $10 per adult, $5 per child (to a maximum of $20 per household)
- Non annual club members: $15 per person, $5 per child (to a maximum of $30 per household)
Remember there is FREE ACCESS to Elk Island National Park in 2017
Other activities, not part of the orienteering event, to round out the day:
- Play on the beach
- Check out the boardwalk over the edge of the lake
- Socialize with other club members
- Bring your canoe or kayak
- Bike or hike one of the other trails in Elk Island Park
- Drive round the Bison Loop Road
- Stay out late to stargaze as the park is in a dark sky preserve
The entrance to Elk Island National Park is on the NORTH side of Hwy 16 (Yellowhead Hwy) approximately 35 km* east of Edmonton. *distance from the Beverly Bridge.
From the entrance, drive 14km north on the park road, then turn left and follow the signs to Astotin Lake. Park in the main Astotin Lake parking lot (the one next to the beach). From the far right (NW) corner of the lot, take the trail up the hill to the shelter. Watch for the club banner.
Bring your drivers licence to rent SPORTident card/compass/whistle, but leave any potluck contributions in your vehicle until noon.
This event goes RAIN or SHINE or SNOW or COLD. Come dressed for an adventure!
For more information: contact Dorothy <email@example.com> 587 990 3531 or Marilyn <eooc AT shaw DOT ca> 780 455 1916