The objective is to provide a fun environment for club members to socialise while learning, practicing and improving
their orienteering skills. Even though the camp is less than an hour from the city, we are providing a "live in" setting
to maximize the opportunities for getting to know other orienteers and learning from each other.
Improve your orienteering skills
at our club camp on the May 8,9,10 weekend
NB pre-registration is required for this camp by April 30
Overlanders' Orienteering skills development camp will be held at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre Lodge located
on Range Road 212, 4 km south of the Yellowhead Hwy, 24 km east of the Beverly Bridge.
Friday evening - map reading games focusing on contour interpretation
Saturday - using contours in your orienteering
Sunday - a variety of route choice and navigation strategies including ways of combining compass,
map reading and terrain recognition.
Summary of Camp Themes
The weekend will include:
- briefing/instruction sessions held in the lodge
- a variety of practice sessions to suit different skill levels, mostly on the Blackfoot map
- review and feedback sessions
- fun sessions such as sprint or night O at the Wilderness Centre
- accommodation, meals and snacks
- OGPS challenge for more experienced orienteers
- armchair orienteering, map games, map modelling etc
- chances to relax and socialise
All sessions are optional so you can set your own balance of learning and relaxation
- Friday evening snack and games
- Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning and afternoon skills development sessions, evening fun activity
- Sunday breakfast and lunch, morning and afternoon skill development activity
- there will be no extra charge for Friday & Saturday nights accommodation at the Wilderness centre, either in
the lodge for early registrants or in unheated bunkhouse when the lodge is full.
Whole weekend: Adult $100, Junior** (under 20) $50
Sunday only, Adult $50, Junior** (under 20) $20
- Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning and afternoon skills development sessions, evening fun
Saturday only, Adult $65, Junior** (under 20) $30
- Sunday, breakfast and lunch, morning and afternoon skills development sessions
- pre registration is required for all options by April 30, so that we can be prepared with enough
maps helpers, food etc.
- To attend the camp you must be a club member. If you are not already a member add $20 to the
camp cost for a single adult membership or $25 for a household membership.
We want to encourage people of all skill levels to participate, from beginner to expert. Whether you wish to be
competitive or just want outdoor fun finding the controls, this camp is for you.
REGISTER NOW!! click here for the printable entry form. We would like some idea of your skill level/experienceto help
us tailor activities to the camp participants needs. If you have any particular suggestions for orienteering skills to work
on please let us know early and we will try to take them into account in the planning.
** Juniors must have a parent (or two) in attendance at the camp.
To contact us for more information click here or phone 780 455 1916
Please make cheque payable to EOOC and mail it with your registration form to:
EOOC, Box 69082, Edmonton, T6V 1G7